How to insert multiple filters for one application type in Mime.convs

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Apr 26 10:16:39 PDT 2010

andrew wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I have a question regarding the mime.convs file - if you might be able to
> help me that'd be much appreciated.
>
> I have my mime.types file set up properly, and the mime.convs file is
> forwarding my print jobs to the proper filter based on the application
> type - ie. I have 'application/foo' being filtered in the mime.types file
> based on a search string in the document, and I have 'application/foo'
> defined in my mime.convs file which calls a filter 'filter1_2ps'.
>
> I want to be able to call a second filter now in mime.convs for
> 'application/foo' (such as 'filter2_ps') but adding a new line doesn't
> work.  Nor does separating the filters by comma. If i simple add a new
> line, only the first filter gets executed, and if I add a comma, the jobs
> fails completely.
>
> Has anybody had any experience with adding multiple filters for a single
> application type in the mime.convs file before?  If it can't be done, does
> anybody know of any other methods that I could try?
>
> If this is confusing please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clyde

What are you going to achieve with these "multiple filters"? The logic
behind the mime.types and mime.convs computes the chain of filters from the
input mime type, the requested output or intermediate mime types and the
costs listed in the mime.convs.

Please explain in more detail what you want to achieve.

Helge