[cups.general] Sharp MX3500N and user restrictions

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Apr 28 02:00:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 01:32:08AM -0700, Helge Blischke wrote:

> What I did in a similar case (restricted color printing to a KonicaMinolta
> device) is:
> -	set up a raw file device "printer" in CUPS
> -	share this printer via SAMBA
> -	set up a MX3500N printer under Windows as usual but use the
> 	samba shared pseudo printer instead of the real device

Maybe this is where I did it wrong : in Windows I've printed to file
instad of having printed to CUPS in raw mode, however the captured datas
sent as-is to the printer printed fine from the CUPS server (lp -o raw
capture.prn)

> -	print a test job from windows to the fake printer and get the
> 	encrypted and encoded data from the dump file.
> -	write a CUPS filter that inserts the skimmed data into
> 	the appropriate parts of the print job(s)
>
> This way you at least can manage to use the restricted printing using a
> fixed uid/pw combination (initially from Windows) which you could keep
> secret and manage accounting and/or access restrictions via the menas CUPS
> provides.

This should have worked, since this is mostly what I did but so far no
luck unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone from Sharp here ?

TIA