[cups.general] Cups listen on 0.0.0.0

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Fri Apr 30 01:03:52 PDT 2010

On 04/30/2010 09:42 AM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) schrieb:
>> On 04/29/2010 10:54 PM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Especially the address 0.0.0.0:631 is misterious for me.
>>>
>> 0.0.0.0 means "listen on all interface" -- usually that's
>> what you want.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> i do not want to share my Printers over Internet: :-) And usally nobody
> want this. :-) Little Joke. Do you know how to avoid this?

Sorry, I think I don't understand (or you don't understand :)

Your server has interfaces. lo, eth0, whatever.

You want your print-server to be usable from the LAN. That LAN is
attached to e.g. eth0. So packets from the LAN will arrive at eth0.

Also, you might want to manage your server locally, i.e. access
it via localhost:631 on the server itself -- packets will arrive on the
lo-interface.

So you could either specify Listen-directives in cupsd.conf for
the IP-addresses of those two interfaces, or just let CUPS listen
on all interfaces, as it does now.

This is not related in any way to "over Internet".

Again: You don't want to change the listening address. 0.0.0.0 is fine.
But if you have some really strange reason you haven't told us about, check
out
http://cupsserver:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#Listen

hth,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
         FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517