[cups.general] Cups listen on 0.0.0.0

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Apr 30 07:31:04 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:42 AM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD) schrieb:
>> On 04/29/2010 10:54 PM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Especially the address 0.0.0.0:631 is misterious for me.
>>>
>> 0.0.0.0 means "listen on all interface" -- usually that's
>> what you want.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> i do not want to share my Printers over Internet: :-) And usally nobody
> want this. :-) Little Joke. Do you know how to avoid this?

Listening on the "everywhere" address (0.0.0.0) does not automatically allow sharing over the Internet... :)

The default sharing configuration allows printing from the local subnet(s). There is a separate option in the web interface to allow printing from the Internet.

Beyond these, most people live behind a firewall these days; if you have your print server connected directly to the Internet, then at the very least you'll want to setup a firewall on your server. If the server has multiple interfaces, change the cupsd.conf file from using:

    Port 631

to:

    Listen 127.0.0.1:631
    Listen your-local-network-interface-address:631

so that you don't accept connections from the network interface attached to the Internet.