Full speed via socket, but /slow/ via ipp

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Apr 30 15:02:05 PDT 2010

I'm working on the setup for a networked printer.

The manufacturer suggests ipp://<PRINTER>/ipp/ for non-Mac cups users,
but that 301-redirects to https://<PRINTER>/ipp/.  Cups seems to ignore
the 301 and keeps on trying port 631.

Some futher tests showed that http://<PRINTER>/ipp works, but unlike
when using the socket: protocol, cups seems to send one page at a time,
pausing until that is finished before sending the next.

As a result, the printer's RIP is unable to keep up with its engine.

Especially when printing duplex, since the printer images the pages in
the order: 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, ....

Is there something simple I overlooked which would convince cups to send
the job all at once even when using ipp (to port 80)?

And is cups (1.4.2)'s inability to follow a 301 in need of a bug report?
I don't want to waste everyone's time if the bug has already been fixed.

-JimC