[cups.development] How does CUPS find PPD files?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Apr 5 17:36:19 PDT 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:31 PM, George Liu wrote:
> How does CUPS find PPD files.

The helper program cups-driverd is responsible for locating PPD and driver information files, and for executing driver interface programs in /usr/libexec/cups/driver.

> I remembered there're two ways:
>
> * The old way: CUPS look at /usr/share/cups/model
> * A newer way: There's a script CUPS invokes to generate PPD file.
>
> Can someone elaborate how the second way works?

The driver interface program is run to list or output a named PPD file. "man cups-driverd" for details. However, please note that on Mac OS X we only support the Gutenprint driver interface program for performance reasons.