cups 1.3.9 (texttops) does not print ru_RU.UTF-8chars

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Apr 12 01:45:36 PDT 2010

> On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:24 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > I've created an UTF-8 text file with German Umlauts, Spanisch tilde =
> chars, greek chars and cyrillic chars. The file prints fine from KDE's =
> Kwrite.
> > A 'lpr -Pps textfile' prints fine all chars, but not the cyrillic =
> chars. The same can be proved with:
> >=20
> > $ CHARSET=3Dutf-8 /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/texttops 1 rleigh =
> myfile 1 "" < testfile.utf8 > ps
> >=20
> > and having a look into the PostScript file.
> >=20
> > Looks like a bug in 'texttops'?
>

> Nope, just missing characters/fonts that support those glyphs.  Look at =
> the /usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8 file and make sure that the Unicode =
> ranges are mapped to an existing font with Cyrillic characters in it.

Thanks for the feedback, Michael. For Cyrillic U+0400 ... U+04ff the file has the mapping:

0300 03FF ltor single Symbol
0400 04FF ltor single Courier Courier-Bold Courier-Italic Courier-Bold-Italic

when I change 0400...04FF to be maped to 'Symbol' (like 0300...03FF) the resulting PostScript file in 'gs' complains with messages like:

GPL Ghostscript 8.63 (2008-08-01)
Copyright (C) 2008 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Substituting .notdef for afii10035 in the font Symbol
Substituting .notdef for afii10077 in the font Symbol
Substituting .notdef for afii10085 in the font Symbol
Substituting .notdef for afii10089 in the font Symbol
which proofs that this is just a fonts problem; what would be a font containing Cyrillic glyphs? Thanks in advance.

Matthias