[cups.development] cups-polld issue and cupsd segfaulting

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski blizinski at google.com
Wed Apr 14 09:46:27 PDT 2010

No dia 10 de Setembro de 2009 17:25, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> escreveu:
> On Sep 10, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Michael Sweet<msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>>> That said, I'd much rather fix the actual bug instead of adding
>>> reference counting just for this one situation.  More than likely
>>> this
>>> would just mean removing all of the type and filter references before
>>> renaming; alternately, we can delay deletion of types and filters
>>> until the printer itself is deleted.
>>
>> Is this segfault problem something you think CUPS team would fix, or
>> am I on my own?
>
> Well, it *is* a bug and we'll fix it.  But if you can find a quick/
> simple/clean fix on your own we'll be more than happy to use it and
> credit you for the fix.

I've used the following two patches:
https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/cups/trunk/files/0002-Adding-the-refcount-member-to-mime_type_t.patch
https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/cups/trunk/files/0003-Reference-counting-for-printers-only.patch

I understand it's not the proper fix, but lacking anything better, I
wrote these.  They keep my servers running since then.  The real bug
is probably elsewhere; it's whatever causes two printers with the same
name to be created.  Perhaps it might be an unusual feature of my
setup, where cups-polld is polling multiple printservers and there are
the same printer can be registered with more than one printserver.
This causes the same printer name to be reported from two different
printservers.  Perhaps the "@host" adding code allows some printers to
slip through?  I could run tests in my environment, if you suggested
any.  Otherwise, my patches allow cupsd to run fine - it's been
running with the above patches on multiple machines for the last 3
quarters.

Maciej