Setting CUPS options from filter in cups v < 1.4

Tim Pushor tim.pushor at yorkelec.com
Mon Apr 19 14:56:51 PDT 2010

Hello,

Is there any way to set print options from a filter script? We've
designed a filter script that works wonderfully and the last remaining
issue is to be able to select an input tray depending on something in
the print job. If I read the filter (7) specification correctly, the
PPD: message send via stderr will do what I want.. The problem is that
our application requires a standard RHEL distribution and they are still
at cups 1.3 :(

Since its only a matter of time before RHEL adopts cups >= 1.4 I would
be grateful for a hackish suggestion to buy us time to wait.

Thanks,
Tim