[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3566: Printing PDF files generates Unable to write print data: Broken pipe errors

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 04:06:31 PDT 2010

On 04/27/2010 12:35 PM, Helge Blischke wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:

>>> You use the PPD generated from the foomatic database, which gives the
>>> document type applicateion/vnd.cups-pdf priority over
>>> application/vnd.cups-postscript and thus causes the debian-configured
>>> cups to use the pdftopdf filter.
>>>
>>> But the printer does not support direct PDF printing.
>>>
>>> My suggestion is
>>> (1) download the printer's native PPD from Xerox (preferred)
>>> or
>>> (2) delete (or turn into comments) the lines
>>> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"
>>> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip"
>>> of the PPD.
>>>
>>> In addition, I'd suggest to file a bug to openprinting.org regarding this
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Helge
>>>

>> Helge, removing *cupsFilter lines from the PPD is not needed. If
>> foomatic-rip gets PDF as input and the renderer is not Ghostscript
>> (*foomaticRIPCommandLine, in our case "cat"), foomatic-rip converts the
>> input data into PostScript ('Starting process "pdf-to-ps"' in
>> error_log). So the printer actually gets PostScript input and not PDF.
>>
>> Problem is probably that code for CUPS'page accounting gets inserted
>> into the PostScript data stream ('Inserting PostScript code for CUPS'
>> page accounting' in error_log). This works only with Ghostscript and can
>> cause problems when the PostScript is sent to a PostScript printer. This
>> problem I have fixed recently. Please get the newest foomatic-rip
>> (foomatic-filters  4.0.4).
>>
>>       Till
>
> Till, as for the conversion from PDF to PS, you are right – I missd that.
>
> But I just looked through the sources of foomatic-filters 4.0.4 and found
> that the insertion of the page counting
> code is only suppressed if the PPD contains
> *FoomaticRIPNoPageAccounting: true
> which is missing in the PPD the o.p. used. Thus my suggestion would
> certainly help him.
>
> Helge

Your suggestion will not help, the printer will still receive PostScript
with page accounting code and the printer will crash on it.

There was a bug on the OpenPrinting web server (I have fixed it now)
that the PPDs generated there generally missed the

*FoomaticRIPNoPageAccounting: true

entry whereas the same PPDs generated with locally installed Foomatic
contain this keyword.

Please re-download the PPD file

http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=Postscript&printer=Xerox-Phaser_6180

    Till