PPD and .drv file

adrian cell_gsm at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 05:35:18 PDT 2010

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:54 PM, newdev wrote:
> > Many thanks for the reply Michael.
> >=20
> paper =3D
> >> size while selecting custom page size from openoffice or a pdf =3D
> >> document.Can this be done through PPD?
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> You can specify the range of sizes that are allowed for a custom =
> size, =3D
> >> but whether OOo or other apps do size validation is up to the app or =
> the =3D
> >> toolkit they use.
> >=20
> > I understand the point that the application should inform the user =
> about the wrong PageSize.That I will have check how it can be done.
> >=20
> > If I specify the range of page sizes allowed for a custom size, as you =
> mentioned in the PPD, will the cups show error or will it put the =
> permissible values in the custom UI dialog?
>
> CUPS won't prevent the application from sending an out-of-range media =
> size; instead it just won't set the page size...
>
> > Still is it possible with cups to show error message like =
> "Error:Invalid page" on the printer queue?
>

> Only if the driver implements this functionality.

> Once you have found a Windows printer you may configure CUPS. First verify that your installation of CUPS has the smb backend with the following command:

ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

If this file does not exist create it by issuing the following:

ln -s `which smbspool` /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

The following is an example of setting up the printer shown above:

lpadmin -p RicePrinter -v smb://rice/INKJET -P /root/inkjet.ppd
enable RicePrinter
accept RicePrinter
lpadmin -d RicePrinter

See Section 2.3 for an explanation of the commands above. If Windows naming service is unavailable, add the switch -h followed by the IP address of the Windows PC to the first lpadmin command as in:

lpadmin -p RicePrinter -h 10.6.7.8 -i smb://rice/inkjet-P /root/inkjet.ppd

Your printer is now ready to test. Send a file to the printer with the lp command followed by a filename, or by printing a document from within an application.