How to debug CUPS/dnssd/mdns

Marc Haber mh+usenetspam1002 at zugschl.us
Sun Aug 1 02:29:01 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm having a new CUPS issue when printing to my networked printer.

Setup:
Debian Unstable with cups 1.4.4-2
A Lexmark C510n, advertising itself on the network via mdns

Printing via CUPS used to work until some time the week before last. I
don't remember what I changed back then.

When pringint, I get the error message "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd
failed", and the CUPS printer goes into Pause. When I tell CUPS to
resume the printer, it pauses itself again immedately without any
visible network activity in tshark. Noone tries to resolve the
printer's name or to print.

When the printer's queue is empty, I can resume the printer (it's idle
then), and when I try printing something, no network activity is seen
and the printer is paused again.

How can I debug the dnssd-Backend? How do I test whether the mdns
announcements go through?

I am on log level debug, and there is no clear error message in the
error log.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc