[cups.general] CUPS Client timeout.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 2 10:47:54 PDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Kapilraj Koroth wrote:
> I have configured all the enterprise printers on a printer let us call is PS1. All my SAP app servers and other unix systems that needs to print has this line in the client.conf
>
> ServerName PS1
>
> Everything works fine. Print jobs can be fired, I can cancel jobs administer printers etc etc ...
>
> But when I make the server PS1 unavailable by bringing the OS down or shutdown the cupsd, all the lp*** commands hang indefinitely. I would like this behavior changed to,
>
> a) Either locally queue them until PS1 becomes available # Preferred option.
> b) Give an error return code (RC) and exit
>
> Is this possible ? I am using CUPS on Redhat 5 .

For the cupsd shutdown case, the client will normally get a "connection refused" from the server, so that should work as expected.  If you take the whole server down then you'll have a 300 second (by default) connection timeout before the client returns an error.

The only way around this is to use a local cupsd with CUPS browsing enabled (this is actually the default configuration for CUPS...) - use BrowsePoll on the client(s) if the server is on a different subnet...