cupsGetJobs() gets "Unauthorized"

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 07:37:13 PDT 2010

I'm getting "Unauthorized" from a process running as root on our CUPS server which calls:

cupsGetJobs(&jobs, NULL, 0, CUPS_WHICHJOBS_ALL)

Previously, it worked. I can't think what has changed except moving to CUPS 1.4.4 from 1.4.3 - and my old install on the latter now fails identically also.

The appropriate part of cupsd.conf is:

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Negotiate

# Restrict access to the server...
# Note that we need to 'Allow from localhost' for Windows LPR printing etc
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from localhost
  Require user @SYSTEM @students
  Encryption Required
  AuthType Default	# required to force authentication
  Satisfy any
</Location>

This is with CUPS 1.4.4.

Any suggestions how I may debug this? Nothing that I can see in error_log.

John A. Murdie