CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Aug 6 06:08:05 PDT 2010

>>> http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8.pdf        -- produced by CUPS-PDF
>>> http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8-Kwrite.pdf -- produced by KDE's Kwrite
>>> http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8.txt        -- the file to print
>>> http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8.ps         -- the output of texttops
>>>
>>> HIH
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>
>> What strikes me after looking into your PS file is that the encoding
>> vectors for the two rigt to left scripts (hebrew and arabic) are
>> completely set to /.notdef, but looking into the sources of cups 1.4.4's
>> texttops filter and the associated psglyphs file this should not happen.
>> Could you post the psglyphs and texttps.c files from your source code
>> tree as well?
>> And, perhaps, could you run a test job with your cups set to log leve
>> debug and post the corresponding error_log file?
>
> I have placed the file here:
>
> http://www.unixarea.de/error_log
> http://www.unixarea.de/texttops.c
> http://www.unixarea.de/psglyphs
>
> Note, this is for CUPS 1.4.3.
>
> Thx
>
>         matthias

psglyphs is the same as with 1.4.4, and texttops.c from 1.4.4 only has some
more debug statements.

So what I'll do next is
(1) check your text file against psglyps (by a Perl script) to see if the
hebrew text points to the expected glyph names, and
(2) set up a virtual system running cups 1.4.4 and do some tests.

This will take a couple of days, so be patient.

Helge