CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Aug 9 00:37:39 PDT 2010

Helge Blischke wrote:

> (3) font embedding
> ---------------------------
> My self-compiled texttops filter embedded the (complete) used fonts into
> the PostScript output, but the file you posted had the fonts not embedded.
> Is there a configure option for not embedding the fonts? (you told me you
> compiled your CUPS from the sources, if I remember correctly).

Helge,

The not embedded font files must be somehow the result of a missing PPD file
information if I call 'texttops' for testing this way:

# CHARSET=utf-8 ~/cups-1.4.3/filter/texttops 1 rleigh myfile 1 "" ~/CUPS-UTF8.txt  > /tmp/ps
DEBUG: ppd = SetCommonOptions(num_options 0, options 0, 1) gives 0
DEBUG: ppd arg of WriteProlog() 0?
DEBUG: charset file /usr/local//share/cups/charsets/utf-8
DEBUG: NumFonts 15
DEBUG: Download fonts 2?
DEBUG: Download fonts ppd 0?
DEBUG: Download fonts ppd 0?

(I inserted some more DEBUG statements to see what it is missing).

I don't know what I should provide exactly as PPD information, even after reading for a
while the docs :-(

Thanks

        matthias