Make printer to use "number-up=2" per default

Locke lockealh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 05:18:25 PDT 2010

> Hi,
> i want to have a printer working in a way that it always prints 2 pages on one sheet per default.
>
> It already worked fine so that the printer always prints black&white and duplex by editing the default values directly in the ppd file, like:
>
> *DefaultDuplex: DuplexNoTumble
>
> Unfortunately there is not such a option for number-up.
>
> When i print with the command line using number-up=2 it works fine.
>
> So, my question: can i somehow set the default value for a specific printer to number-up=2? It doesn`t matter if i can set this option in the ppd file or somewhere else (like in the printers.conf or can i define a simple filter that adds the number-up option?) - it only should work :)
>
> I already spent 2 days on that and i`m very happy for any hints/suggestions!
> Thx
> Tobias

One way to do this is to go into the CUPS gui interface, http://localhost:631,
got to the printers tab, select which printer you want to do this for, and in the drop down box which is defaulted to administration, select "set as default options"  From there, click on the general link, and next to the 2-sided printing option, change that to "Flip on Long Edge) then hit the set default options button.