[cups.general] Cups for large number of printers

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 9 11:30:26 PDT 2010

[Please don't cross-post...]

On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:14 AM, hosi wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> How many printers can a single Cups computer handle? Cups will use different queue for each printer? How about CPU usage and memory? Has Cups tested for large number of printers (say 100 up to 200) before?

I personally know of configurations as large as 10,000 printers, and the "torture" test included with CUPS ("make test" from the source, then choose the appropriate options) exercises that configuration.

You can get an idea of the CPU, memory, and disk requirements using the estimator page on cups.org:

    http://www.cups.org/estimator.php