coercing owner of a job to another username

cowbert cowbert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 14:46:00 PDT 2010

Is there a way to take the submitted username of a job (which can be arbitrary, if the user is a remote client printing to the cups printer), and coerce in cups so that the rest of the cups system sees the print job as being queued by a local user? Like user 'alice'@remote.domain prints to my cups server but I want her job to show up in the queue as being queued by 'nobody'.

The way we wish to deploy papercut with unauthenticated release stations makes it so that we can have arbitrary people come in and release any job at the release station but papercut always looks up the user submitted by cups, which can either not exist or even be wrong (if there are 2 users named 'alice, then papercut will think they are the same user). People release their jobs at the release station based on other identifying information (document name, hostname, timestamp)

We wish to do this in the absence of any other network authentication (no AD no krb), all access control is physical.

In samba we do this by setting the queue up to be guest only = ok and then set the guest user as 'nobody' so all jobs being spooled through samba show up as being owned by user nobody. We would like to have the same mechanism directly via CUPS should someone decide to add the printer via IPP.