[cups.general] Printing across a LAN

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Aug 9 14:52:48 PDT 2010

I have an HP OfficeJet J4580 attached by USB
to a CentoOS desktop (192.168.1.2),
and I want to use it from a Fedora-13 laptop (192.168.1.8).

I've heard people say this is automatic,
and that CUPS will find a printer on the LAN,
but I have never known "Find printer" to find anything.
What exactly is the recommended method?

I've used hplip to install the printer on the desktop,
but the laptop does not offer an hplip PPD.
I'm not really clear why one needs PPD files on both machines?

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net