Making my HP 560c work again, and again.

chris lynch christopher.lynch at mpls.k12.mn.us
Tue Aug 10 10:30:57 PDT 2010

You guys have helped me before to get my old printer to work, but every time I change computers, the problem comes back.  I'm no techie, and I hack my way through as best as I can.  I have downloaded the Keyspan Twin Serial Adapter and the Cups 1.1v that I used successfully before with my G4 OSX 10.4.11.  I now have a newer G4 w/ OSX 10.5.8.  I see things in my system folder I don't quite get, and I'm close to making it all work but so far no luck.

When I'm in the "Network" part of the system preferences, and I click on "connect", it tries to connect, but ultimately, it says I have a possible modem problem.  I have a DSL line with 1.5 speed and I use an Encore 802.11n router that I use to connect a computer in the basement to the DSL line.  It is hard wired.  The Network shows my ethernet is connected but that the "internal modem", the US28X191P1 (and P2), the Key Serial, the PPPoE, and the Firewire are all "Not Connected"

You've changed some of the stuff in the Serial Print Enabler (http://127.0.0.1:631/printers), and some of the stuff in the new layout does not seem to work for me.  Rather than tell you about all that, is there just a set of simple 1,2,3 directions specific to my computer and situation?  Thanks.  Chris L.