[cups.general] BrowsePoll and distribute polled printers in Unicast

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Aug 11 08:41:51 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 7:14 AM, maik sillmann wrote:
> I have a switched network with two CUPS servers, which were used by local clients to poll for printers (using BrowsePoll statement in their configuration file).
>
> Now I have the need to let clients from within some dozen subnets poll both servers. I know I could easily change the CUPS clients' configuration file and add another BrowsePoll entry, but my idea was to specify just specify a BrowsePoll statement on CUPS server A to poll CUPS server B's printers so all of CUPS server A's clients should get the remote printers:
>
> CUPS client (end-user machine) polls -> CUPS Server A polls -> CUPS Server B (remote machine).
>
> I can see printer updates from server B arriving on server A (lpstat shows them), but the end-user CUPS client do not get these information, even BrowseRelay is specified on server A.
>
> For me it looks like the information gathered from "BrowsePoll" statements are only forwarded via broadcasts, which won't work for clients from other subnets.
>
> Is there any way to have CUPS server A include the foreign printers when it is polled by the clients?

If the clients are on the same subnet as server A, use BrowseRelay to relay from 127.0.0.1 to @LOCAL, e.g.:

    BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 @LOCAL

If the clients are on a different subnet, you'll need to poll server B directly since we only bring over local shared queues from the server you poll (otherwise you'd end up getting printers from another server that you either a) already got by polling that server or b) don't have access to...)