[cups.general] /usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed (was: How to debug CUPS/dnssd/mdns)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Aug 11 09:58:03 PDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for helping. I really appreciate that.
>
> Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> "Unable to resolve URI" usually means that the service name you used in the device URI no longer exists.
>
> Ah, that was valuable information. It would be helpful if the actual
> URI would be mentioned in the log entry.

The standard dnssd backend *does* log it, but Till's Debian version does not.

If you run "cupsctl --debug-logging" you should see the environment listed, including the DEVICE_URI that is passed in for the job (minus any auth data the might be mixed in...)

>> You can use:
>>
>>   dns-sd -L C510-Sch8 _pdl-datastream._tcp
>>
>> to verify that the service name is right and:
>>
>>   dns-sd -B _pdl-datastream._tcp
>>
>> to manually browse.
>
> Unfortunately, Debian sid doesn't have any program named dns-sd. Are
> there alternatives to that tool?

Debian normally comes with Avahi - avahi-resolve should replace "dns-sd -L" and avahi-browse should replace "dns-sd -B".