[cups.general] Two definitions for one printer

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 12:56:16 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 03:50:51 pm grant keiter did opine:

> I was wondering if it is possible to have two cups definitions for one
> printer.
>
> I have savin CLP131DN printers and have them set to default black and
> white.  I leave the printer itself open to accept a color job. My
> problem is that most programs I find do not give you that option.
> Firefox is about the only one I know of.  OpenOffice, opera etc do not.
>

> I would like to know if it would cause any problems if I were to have
> one printer named invoicing, and one named color_invoicing?
>
> I tried something similar but was always getting printer unavailable on
> the color_invoicing printer, but was not sure if that was the problem.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Grant

I am not currently setup that way (new pclos install), but its something I
have done for several years, was to have a profile set for quick draft
printing, another for decent text & graphics, and one for max resolution
photo's and such.

Named lp0 through lp2, I just picked the printer from the list, worked very
well.  I also have a Brother cheapie laser, B&W only so that's lp3.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)