[cups.general] setting print options for a class

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 20 08:44:25 PDT 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 3:23 AM, Axel Beier wrote:
> Hello,
> printing to a class gives me no choice to select double side printing or single side printing.
> Is this a bug or a feature?

What application are you printing from?

What version of CUPS?

What printers are in the class?

Do the printers *all* support 2-sided printing?

> I can't found ppd-files for the printer class. So i have linked the printers ppd to the classname in /etc/cups/ppd. Now lpoptions -l works for the class local, not from remote.

cupsGetPPD (the API you are supposed to use to get the PPD for a printer) automatically returns the PPD for the first printer.  Classes themselves do not have PPD files of their own.

> Is there something wrong in my installation ( Ubuntu 09.10 Server ) or is it impossible the set some options for a printerclass in the printing-wizard?

More than likely there is something wrong in the Ubuntu printing wizard.