scaling pdf file for a poster

John King johnmking_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 01:50:06 PDT 2010

I use the following to scale an image so that my lexmark c532 prints 4 pages of A4 which can be stuck together to produce an A3 poster

$ lp -d lexmark -o scaling=200 -o sides=one-sided filename

I'd like to do the same with a pdf file of an A4 page, but this does not seem to work.  There is no error message, but the resulting printout is a single A4 sheet with no scaling applied.

I see from the lp man pages that the scaling section specifically refers to image files.  Is there any way of applying the same procedure to pdfs?