[cups.general] Prepaid printing service in school

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:41:59 PDT 2010

It was already mentioned, but I'll give another +1 for tea4cups.  We do
accounting in our labs with that, pkpgcounter (from the same place) and
SNMP::NPAdmin - the latter being used to ask the printer how much it
actually printed before and after a job was completed since it's really
the best way to get accurate accounting.  We use pkpgcounter to estimate
the page counter before hand and cancel jobs for which people are
lacking quota and auto-hold jobs that look like some extreme number of
pages.  All the rest go through and deduct some weighted amount of pages
based on whether or not they're plotters, duplex, color, transparency,
etc.

Plotters obviously don't have a "pagecount" so we just estimate based on
linear foot printed.

tea4cups is pretty nice, we use it to do something other things like
check the printer's "health" over snmp before we send jobs to it as
well.

Cheers,
Brian

Ott Maaten <ott.maaten at gmail.com> 2010-08-23 03:29: