[cups.general] notebook running hot

ulrich.lauther at t-online.de ulrich.lauther at t-online.de
Thu Aug 26 13:28:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:56:04AM -0700, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Upgrading to even 1.3.12 would be useful since there *were* some USB backend issues in the 1.3.x timeframe regarding CPU usage.

I couldn't find 1.3.12, so I tried 1.3.11 and 1.4.4 but without success:

With 1.3.11 I get "Failed to read side-channel request" after connecting
the printer.
When I cancel the print-job, and restart it (now with connected printer),
the first (and only) page is partly printed, but with vertical bars extending
down from some letters. Then follow an infinite number of empty pages.

With 1.4.4, I cannot print at all. I get "waiting for printer to get
ready" or similar (citing from memory).

So I am back to 1.3.5 and the above mentioned job prints fine.

Question: when I change the CUPS-version need I to do more than just
../configure; make; make install ?

BTW, my printer is a Brother DCP 7010.

Thanks for any hints.

	-ulrich lauther