[cups.development] The best way to get a raster for printer with 3 levels per pixel?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 13 11:47:44 PDT 2010

You should dither the output - see Gutenprint, the CUPS book examples, or the CUPS DDK driver library (which includes multi-level dithering code you can use) for inspiration.

Relying on 2-bit-per-color support from the RIP filters is not safe anyways - only Ghostscript and the imagetoraster filter actually support that path, and we're officially deprecating anything besides 1, 8, and 16-bits per color in CUPS 1.5.