Colour Printing in Adobe Reader

roshnipaul paul.roshni1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 07:39:04 PST 2010

> roshnipaul wrote:
>

> >> If your office printer permits switching between color and b/w printing,
> >> you could set up a different cups queue for b/w printing only.
> >>
> >> If you tell what printer is concerned (and what PPD you use with cups), I
> >> could tell you how to.
> >>
> >> Helge
> >>
> > Hi Helge.
> > it's a toshiba e-studio 3511. I'm sure it would permit switching like
> > that. We have the toshiba_4511.ppd
> >
> > How would such a queue be accessed/printed to on the client side ?
>
> A cups queue is a printer as configured with cups.
> The easiest method to set the default ColorResType
> to MonoLowXXXXX (where XXXXX one of Auto, Detail, or Smooth).
>
> If oyu need to prevent any user from printing in color to this printer,
> you could delete the ColorResType choices beginning with "Color..."from this
> printer's PPD.
>
> Helge

I'm not keen on this idea. Having it visible as a seperate printer forces users to make a choice, it's an unnecessary extra point of failure. Is it not possible to just make adobe reader's colour setting be respected?

I'm giving it a try anyway, but I can't seem to get it to work I created an extra printer and set the appropriate settings, but connecting to it doesn't seem to work, quite possibly because it's on the same physical device, at the same IP address.