Colour Printing in Adobe Reader

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Dec 1 08:09:27 PST 2010

roshnipaul wrote:

>> > Hi Helge.
>> > it's a toshiba e-studio 3511. I'm sure it would permit switching like
>> > that. We have the toshiba_4511.ppd
>> >
>> > How would such a queue be accessed/printed to on the client side ?
>>
>> A cups queue is a printer as configured with cups.
>> The easiest method to set the default ColorResType
>> to MonoLowXXXXX (where XXXXX one of Auto, Detail, or Smooth).
>>
>> If oyu need to prevent any user from printing in color to this printer,
>> you could delete the ColorResType choices beginning with "Color..."from
>> this printer's PPD.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> I'm not keen on this idea. Having it visible as a seperate printer forces
> users to make a choice, it's an unnecessary extra point of failure. Is it
> not possible to just make adobe reader's colour setting be respected?
>
> I'm giving it a try anyway, but I can't seem to get it to work I created
> an extra printer and set the appropriate settings, but connecting to it
> doesn't seem to work, quite possibly because it's on the same physical
> device, at the same IP address.

On Windows, the option to print b/w or color, is an option for the Windows
spooler (PSCRIPT5).
As Adobe Reader generates its own PostScript (which is passed through the
Windows spooler without modification), it only reflects Adobe Reader's own
options; an option to print all colors as black is not provided (just now
tested with Adobe Reader X).

Helge