[cups.general] "BrowseShortNames" and "ImplicitClasses" do not work.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Dec 1 08:36:34 PST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:33 AM, pipitas at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm getting old'n'dumb (forgetting how to set up a CUPS server) or if I found a bug in CUPS BrowseShortName-ing and ImplicitClass-ing behavior. Please help me decide which it is :-)

I seem to remember fixing a browsing bug like this in 1.3.x, although in a quick scan of the change log I don't see where it got fixed. Can you reproduce with the latest CUPS?

> I'm also wondering why the "enabled since ..." hints show up older dates:
> *  I did stop both CUPS servers 10 minutes ago.
> *  I deleted the "job.cache" and "remote.cache" files on both servers.
> *  I restarted both servers again.
> *  I'm at a loss why there shouldn't appear more current date+times in all the output.

The client tracks its own notion of the "enabled since" time, basically the time when the printer was first discovered since the client doesn't keep track of the enabled/disabled state of the servers' printer(s).