[cups.general] Ricoh 2035e and windows

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 15:34:31 PST 2010

Jeff (Jeffrey) Garner wrote:

> Another multi-function copier issue.
>
> Ubuntu jaunty, Cups version 1.3.9, gutenprint 5.2.3
>
> I am attempting to use the Ricoh-Aficio_2035e-pxlmono-Ricoh.ppd driver.
> The
> server interface shows that driver as the one that is installed.  However
> when I install the printer on to a Windows machine, it does not show the
> proper paper sizes.  I am looking for 11x17, but the windows ppd file is
> something completely different, stating that the driver that is being used
> is from path:
> /usr/share/ppd/gutenprint/5.2/C/ppd/stp-ricoh-afc_2035e.5.2.ppd
>
> This file is NOT on my server system, and to make matters even more
> confusing, that path does not exist on the server, there is no gutenprint
> directory under /usr/share/ppd
>
> I need to get the ppd file I installed on the server to install on the
> windows clients.  Server side though both the CUPS and Webmin interfaces I
> see tha tproper attributes for the printer, including the 11x17 paper
> size. However these are not the attributes being passed to the Windows
> clients
> from the server.  Is gutenprint to blame for this and should I uninstall
> it and run solely on CUPS?
>
> *FWIW, I am not the original admin of this box, someone else did the
> install, so I cannot answer any questions dealing with why was this or
> that installed instead of something else.

Some time ago I hacked a Perl script that modifies a PPD as cupsaddsmb would
do and in addition generates an .inf file and writes both into a directory
which can be used on the Windows side in place of a installation medium
(e.g. a floppy).
Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Helge

NOTE: the .inf file generated is suitable for Windows XP; I never tested it
with Vista or Win 7.