Invalid peer credentials for "root"

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sat Dec 4 08:24:10 PST 2010

Tom Niemiec wrote:

> Hello,
> My name's Tom Niemiec and I'm writing because of a problem, that I have
> with CUPS.
>
> I'm working on a project for my collage graduate work and I have to create
> a Print Server on a pc with Linux.
>
> I'm using SAMBA for my domain server, my shares and for printers sharing.
> I successfully added a CUPS-PDF printer to the Print Server and also I
> successfully added the printer to two Windows XP PCs. The problem is that
> I can't print on them while being logged as a normal domain user ( via
> Windows xp ). To test if the printer works on Windows accounts I logged as
> root on the Windows machine and everything worked fine. The file was
> printed, it was created in the output folder I set in cups-pdf.conf and a
> successful line was written in the page_log file. Based on that the
> problem is not o the Windows side.
>
> When I tried to print something on the normal domain user account a line
> was created in the error_log:
>
> E [13/Nov/2010:22:47:34 +0100] Invalid peer credentials for "root" - got
> 1001, expected 0!
>
> Please I really need help with this. I'm working on my graduate work and
> this problem holds me back form  completing my work. If there are any
> information you need or screen shots, configuration files, please feel
> free to ask.
>
> Also I talked to Dr. rer. nat. Volker Christian Behr who created cups-pdf
> to find out if the problem lies on the cups-pdf side. After a few emails
> He gave me a hint "... to disable user-based access control for
> CUPS (since I never tried to do that nor am I using any Windows I cannot
> give you any hints on that) "
>
> Maybe someone knows how to do this or has an other solution, please help
> :)

Depending on the CUPS version you use, set up either the AuthClass or the
Require directive in cupsd.conf. If that does not conform with your SAMBA
domain setting, try to set some default user name which can be autentified
on your Linux box, by using the printjob username = %U directive in the
smb.conf file.

Helge