[cups.general] Delay before printing in more recent Linux distributions?

Nick Rahl nrahl at aqua-gear.com
Sat Dec 4 15:14:44 PST 2010

> I wouldn't expect it to take quite that long; I used to print shipping labels on a LP-2844Z in less time than that over USB.

We're using an LP 2844 as well with a network printing adapter that
connects to the parallel port and lets you connect it to a network (very
similar to HP's Jet Direct). From a Windows desktop, it takes about 3
seconds from "click" to printing for an almost identical label. Whereas
from CUPS it's about 10 seconds.

The server that makes the labels is a VPS, so it's impossible to connect
a printer via USB. BUT since Windows does it in 3, the problem is most
likely not a hardware limitation, but rather an issue with Linux, CUPS,
or the network configuration. From the CUPS debug log, most of the time
is spent reading/writing, 8192 bytes at a time.