Printing Lost After Distribution Upgrade

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 7 10:33:39 PST 2010

Upgraded to Slackware-13.1 and can no longer print to the HP LaserJet 5 on socket://lj5:9100 as I have used for many years. Printing test pages from the CUPS admin page (localhost:631) works, but I cannot print from applications or the command line. For example,

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ lpr -P laser5_duplex 8000004087.pdf
Status Information, attempt 1 of 3:
sending job 'rshepard at salmo+88' to laser5_duplex at localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 cannot open connection to localhost - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged (>1023) ports
Waiting 10 seconds before retry

/etc/hosts continues to have localhost as an alias to 127.0.0.1.

My extensive Google searching turns up nothing relevant.

I need to regain the ability to print right away as this is a critical business function.

TIA,

Rich