[cups.general] CUPS + Avahi

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Dec 9 06:38:16 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 02:32 -0800, Brian Cardarella wrote:
> I have a printer being shared with Bonjour. My server has CUPS (recent build) and Avahi installed.
> I can very see the printer with avahi-browse:
> """
> + tap0 IPv4 Lexmark International Lexmark E260d @ Brian Cardarella’s MacB Internet Printer     local
> """
> But CUPS cannot discover the printer. Here is my CUPS config for browsing shared printers:

What version of CUPS?  It certainly doesn't work in older version
[~1.3].

Is your version of CUPS linked to avahi?

ldd /usr/sbin/cupsd (?)

This has come up numerous times
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2009-March/001599.html>

I've never gotten it to work [there is a stunning lack of
documentation].

> # Show shared printers on the local network.
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow all
> BrowseProtocols all

"all" is a bad idea, what you want is "dnssd"