Mac OS X printing to networked NEC dot matrixprinter

Dirk Rösler megaperls at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 17:33:49 PST 2010

> Regarding "hack a filter" the following is for Linux but it might
> perhaps be also useful for Mac OS at least to understand the basic
> ideas how one could "hack a filter" for CUPS:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>
> In particular the sections regarding "Printing Plain ASCII Text
> in Printer-Specific Encoding" therein.

I have studied the document, many thanks. However, I am getting stuck right at the start:

"Create the queue for the dot matrix printer as usual with a Foomatic PPD file suitable for the printer model."

Isn't the whole problem that there is no suitable PPD file? I have inserted the *cupsFilter: "text/plain 0 TextToPrinter" line into a NEC P2X PPD now, after trying all the NEC PPDs on Foomatic. The page does not mention details how the corresponding TextToPrinter script should look like though.

Is it really that difficult to send plain text to a plain text dot matrix printer?