[cups.general] Mac OS X printing to networked NEC dot matrixprinter

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Dec 10 02:44:40 PST 2010

Hello,

On Dec 9 17:33 Dirk Rösler wrote (shortened):
>> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
> I have inserted the *cupsFilter: "text/plain 0 TextToPrinter" line
> into a NEC P2X PPD now, after trying all the NEC PPDs on Foomatic.
> The page does not mention details how the corresponding TextToPrinter
> script should look like though.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
does provide several examples of such TextToPrinter scripts
even how you may use it as a "System V style interface script".

> Is it really that difficult to send plain text to
> a plain text dot matrix printer?

It depends.

If "raw" printing is sufficient for you, it is easy, read
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

But if you need "Printing Plain ASCII Text in Printer-Specific Encoding"
it becomes a bit complicated because of the "Printer-Specific Encoding".

Again note that those articles are meant for Linux and therefore
may not fit well for Mac OS.
Perhaps you may better contact appropriate Mac OS support.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex