Creating a greyscale/mono print queue

roshnipaul paul.roshni1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 05:05:32 PST 2010

Hello folks. I'm running cups on a Debian PDC of a windows network. Our printer is a toshiba e-studio 3511 (using 4511 drivers)

I'm having problems getting adobe reader to print pdfs in non-colour. I posted a message here earlier about the issue and I was advised to create a new print queue which can only print monotone, and educate users to print to that as necessary.

I requested more information on how to do this but recieved no reply. So I am reformulating the issue under a new heading.

What I have tried so far is just to add a new printer in cups, pointing to the same hardware device, and set to only print in mono. The windows pcs are unable to connect to it in the same manner as the normal one though, and it does not appear properly shared, so perhaps I am going about this the wrong way.

My questions:

1. What is a print queue. Is it different from re-adding the same printer with different settings?

2. What would a seperate print queue look like from the user perspective. Will it be simple enough for them to print to in place of the usual one?

3. How is the procedure done .how do I make a new print queue