[cups.general] Two identical printer on the same setup

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Dec 21 01:38:13 PST 2010

Hello,

On Dec 17 08:48 Doucet M-A wrote (shortened):
> I installed two identical usb printers on the same station.
> Zebra_TLP2844_USB_2
>   Device URI: usb://Zebra%20/TLP2844
>
> Zebra_TLP2844_USB_3
>   Device URI: usb://Zebra%20/TLP2844
>
> But when I send try to print on the second printer
> (lp -d Zebra_TLP2844_USB_3 -o raw /tmp/MyFile) it printed
> out by the first one (Zebra_TLP2844_USB_2).

Both print queues have identical Device URI which means
both print queues get their printing output sent to the
same device.

Usually USB printers are distinguishable by serial number like
   usb://<manufacturer>/<model_name>?serial=<serial_number>

See what the command "lpinfo -v" reports (run it as root).

If "lpinfo -v" cannot distinguish both printers at the USB
there is not much what you can do except to connect only
one printer via USB and the other one via a different
kind of connection.

Perhaps the issue might depend on which kind of CUPS "usb"
backend you use. The traditional way via usblp kernel module
or the new way via libusb?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex