[cups.general] Nightmare with Samsung Unified Linux Driver

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Dec 26 18:23:12 PST 2010

I've a Samsung CLP-325 Colour Laser Printer attached by ethernet
to a computer running Centos-5.5 .
(There is supposed to be a WiFi interface,
but I've never got this to work;
there is no mention of WiFi when I access the printer web-page,
at 192.168.2.33 in my case.)

I've downloaded and installed UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.07.tar.gz
from Samsung support.

I've tried adding the printer to my CUPS setup in various ways,
and quite often get a Test Page out on the printer.

The usual error I get in /var/log/cups/error is
	cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided
though when I try to use the printer remotely on my laptop
I also get
	Unable to execute /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc:
	No such file or directory

I've googled for both, but while many people seem to have suffered
in the same way as me, I haven't found any rational solution.

If anyone is running a Samsung printer successfully
with the Unified Linux Driver I would be very grateful
to learn the secret of your success.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net