com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification

Chris 89dragon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 23:18:01 PST 2010

I'm working on a project that involves creating a daemon that updates a set of avahi services in step with the cups printers. I want to make it as seamless as possible by having the daemon detect when a new printer is added and generate the service files there and then. In python, running both via sudo and as a regular user, connected to the system bus, I was unable to get any callback from the dbus signal when it fired. Anyone have any ideas as to why this could be? Do I need to somehow 'log in' to cups and register my pid to receive these signals, or edit a policykit entry?

My test code is at:

http://pastebin.com/PAa0rWWi