cups vs usb hp psc 1200

jrd jrd at jrd.org
Wed Dec 29 18:19:21 PST 2010

Hi all.  This is probably a stock question for usb printers, but I searched around a bit and didn't find it.

I'm running cups 1.3.11 on gentoo linux.  I was given an hp psc1200 all-in-one.  The unit seems to work fairly well for a low-end doodad, but I seem to be having persistent problems getting cups to work.

The symptom is that whenever anything causes the usb bus id of the printer to change, like for instance if I unplug and replug it, cups can no longer see it.  I can schedule jobs through cups, and there are no obvious errors, in logs or anyplace else, but no output happens.  Checking the jobs page in the cups UI reveals that cups thinks the jobs complete instantly.

If I run hp-setup again, it finds the device again, and generates a new printer instance.  If I tell cups to use that new instance as the default printer, viola!  I can print again.

What should I be looking for to teach cups about how to keep using this printer, without having to reset the config all the time?

Thanks in advance...