[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3741: Pause when printing to a Class

Barry Lee barry.lee at toolstation.com
Sat Dec 4 09:26:19 PST 2010

[STR New]

My setup is as follows: one PC, and only one of 2 possible printers,
connected via ipp. The printers are different IP addresses, allowing them
to be 'hot swappable'. The printers are members of a class.
When printing to the class the first time after boot, the print job gets
to the printer in about 4-5 seconds. All subsequent jobs will take 10-11
seconds to appear at the printer. Looking at the (debug) log there is a
message "Unable to contact printer, queuing on next printer in class..."
after a short pause in the timings. So I looked deeper and the file
/backend/socket.c prints this line to the log, then there's a Sleep(5).
On a test system I commented out this delay, and indeed, printing is now 5
seconds quicker.
I'm not sure what the purpose of this delay is (the code has a comment
"Sleep 5 seconds to keep the job from requeuing too rapidly..."), I note
it's not just in socket.c, there are several hardcoded delays in various
locations.
Can these be either removed, or 'configurable' by some means, please?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3741
Version: 1.4.5