[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3743: Cannot print from local machine (remote works)

Thomas Koeller thomas at koeller.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 5 14:53:22 PST 2010

[STR New]

I have set up cups-1.4.5 on my machine:

bash-4.0$ uname -a
Linux sarkovy 2.6.36.1 #1 PREEMPT Mon Nov 29 19:25:50 CET 2010 x86_64
GNU/Linux

I also installed gutenprint-5.2 and ghostscript-9.00.

My problem is that I am unable to print anything from my local machine,
while printing from a remote windows client works. Every attempt to print
something results in the printer (a Brother HL-2035 USB Laser printer)
waking up from its power-down state and behaving as if it was just about
to start printing, but then nothing is printed at all and after some time
the printer powers down again. The fact that printing works for the remote
windows client that sends raw printer data generated by the windows printer
driver lead me to the conclusion that something might be wrong with my
filter setup, so I temporarily set LogLevel to 'debug' and produced an
error_log (attached). However, I could not find any indication of
something going wrong in there. It seems to me that all filters run
normally without returning any errors.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3743
Version: 1.4.5