[cups.general] printing via an usb-parallel converter

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 12:41:44 PST 2010

Moin,

I got a new cups server. But without a paralell interface. So I bought an usb
to parallel converter for my Epson laser printer.

When I connect it I see in /var/log/messages:
pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 18 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid
0x0848
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp

There is also a new device called lp1:
hermes:/root # ls -l /dev/usb
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 Feb  2 21:04 lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 1 Feb  2 21:00 lp1

This setup work so far, because I can send a
echo -e "hello\f" > /dev/usb/lp1
and the laser printer it is printing this 'hello' to a single page.

But how do I have to setup cups with this new printer? There is no
generic 'usb' entry in the Device list, nor a serial device.

Thanks for a hint
--
|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |