[cups.general] Help to fix the remaining problems when migration from windows to a linux print server

Salatiel Filho salatiel.filho at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:17:14 PST 2010

Ok, i will answer a few of my own questions cause maybe someone still
have those problems, but i would appreciate if someone could lead me
to answer the others .

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 14:29, Salatiel Filho <salatiel.filho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, i am trying to migrate my print servers from windows to linux ,
> everything is getting really nice but i still face a few problems ,
> and since i don't know if i need help from cups or samba guys i will
> post to both lists, so maybe someone can give me some help.
>
> Well, i have now cups and samba working just fine, i can authenticate
> my users in cups from Active Directory using winbind and they can
> print just fine. The remaining problems/doubts are:
>
> 1) Is there a way to run cupsaddsmb when security = ads in smb.conf ?
No idea yet.
> I always have to set security = user before running cupsaddsmb or it
> will fail.
> 2) Even though my cups printers are configured to DefaultPage = A4,
> after a cupsaddsmb all windows clients still default to LETTER. What
> am i doing wrong? Is there a way to mass set all printer queues in
> windows to use A4 ? Some rpcclient parameter to change this ? I have
> over 1k queues, so manually change each one in windows GUI is kinda
> very time consuming.
You can use the setprinter command from windows resource kit to mass
set all printers to a4.
> 3) Why do i always get count page = 1 when printing from windows ? I
> thought since i was using the right PPD for  each printer  and adobe
> postscripts + cups drivers exported from cupsaddsmb , page accounting
> would work, but apparently not.
I had cups option = raw in smb.conf , so all jobs would go directly to
the printer. This was also impacting printing in my non-postscript
printers cause the printer was printing the PS source. Remove that
line from smb.conf will fix the page count and printing in non-ps
printers.
> 4) now the critical problem , sometimes when im trying to print a big
> job, over 400 hundred pages with lots of pictures to a cups class from
> Word for example , word starts spooling to the samba spool but after
> it finishes printing the only thing really printed in cups is the
> BANNER page, the job itself never gets there.
Still the same proble, for now i am using the queue in raw mode and
using the windows driver.