[cups.general] Printer Discovery - option to turn off?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 09:11:05 PST 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Jack wrote:
> I probably missed this in the docs, but I'm trying to turn off printer discovery.  We are using CUPS in a hospital environment, there are some 600 printers here.   When CUPS tries to discover them, it takes a while in the 1.4.x series.   The way it used to work in the 1.3.x series was you'd go to add a printer and provide the socket information.

CUPS 1.3.x actually had SNMP discovery turned on while 1.4.x has it turned off - look for a snmp.conf file in /etc/cups.

Depending on the operating system/Linux distribution you are using, there may also be a Bonjour discovery backend running - on Mac OS X you'd need to do:

    sudo chmod 000 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/dnssd

On Linux there is another backend - sorry don't remember the name.