[cups.general] Enable Browsing on OS X

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Feb 4 10:14:25 PST 2010

This seems to be a common issue, but I'm not having luck following the
suggested fixes.

I have Ubuntu as a spooler.  My other Linux machines see the spooler (and
its printers) just fine.  But, not in OS X.
I thought this was the answer:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2320604&tstart=240

cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=3DCUPS

But, OS X is still not listing the shared printers.  Details of my config
below.

Also, both of my printers are network printers.  On Linux I get zeroconf
notifications about the printers being discovered.  The OS X machine doesn't
seem to see them.  Is that also cups related?

 Should I try and have the OS X box print directly to the network printers,
or should it connect to my Linux spooler?

Is it suppose to work like this?
1) Cupsd on my linux print server broadcasts that it has two printers
2) Cupsd on OS X sees the broadcast and knows about the printer
3) Add drivers for the discovered printers in OS X
4) Print

toby:~ moseley$ sw_vers | grep 'ProductVersion:'
ProductVersion: 10.5.8

toby:~ moseley$ cupsctl
SystemGroup=admin
SystemGroupAuthKey=system.print.admin
DefaultAuthType=Basic
BrowseRemoteProtocols=3DCUPS
_debug_logging=0
_remote_admin=0
_remote_any=0
_remote_printers=1
_share_printers=0
_user_cancel_any=0
toby:~ moseley$ ipstat -a
-bash: ipstat: command not found

(This is old -- and is connecting directly to the printer, I see.  Printing
here seems to work just sometimes.)
toby:~ moseley$ lpstat -v
device for HP_Color_LaserJet_2605dn__11A7D1_:
mdns://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%202605dn%20%2811A7D1%29._pdl-datastream._tcp.local./?bidi

If I ssh to a linux machine on my network I see these printers -- the first
was manually added the last two are from the my 192.168.1.10 spooler.

moseley at tiger:~$ lpstat -v
device for Color-LaserJet-CM1312nfi-MFP: socket://10.30.2.133
device for HP-Color-LaserJet-2605: ipp://
192.168.1.10:631/printers/HP-Color-LaserJet-2605
device for Photosmart-C4500: ipp://
192.168.1.10:631/printers/Photosmart-C4500

cupsd.conf on the Apple.

toby:cups moseley$ cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
LogLevel info
SystemGroup admin
SystemGroupAuthKey system.print.admin
Listen localhost:631
Listen /private/var/run/cupsd
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs
Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer
Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs
CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @AUTHKEY(system.print.admin) @admin @lpadmin
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @AUTHKEY(system.print.admin) @admin @lpadmin
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>